Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Week 9 Drama

Drama today was packed with yet more acting and being put on the spot in front of the class. For some reason, I've been picked very often, pretty much every class we've had, and I've had to demonstrate and/or perform something for my peers. I like it but it's hard work! I am not accustomed to being active in the classroom typically as I normally choose to remain quiet and observe. However, the class atmosphere has been quite conducive to getting "out there" a bit more, and it isn't difficult for me to change gears and extend myself a bit further. I'm glad this workshop has given me that space, and I hope to extend my enthusiasm to my future students and classroom.

I picked to partner with my classmate David Messer as we focused on story telling for this week's final drama workshop. First we retold the story of the "silkies" in each of our own ways/personalities. I found myself making up quite interesting details and analogies as I retold the story, but using the backbone 7-8 'tension' moments. After that, we were told to recount a childhood story for the next activity, and I told David my story of toilet-papering some neighbors house way back in middle school; I barely remember who I was with (actually I don't) but I clearly remember running away frantically and being just scared out of my mind! I relived the excitement and rush of that moment in life as I narrated my story to David, a powerful emotion. After, he told me his story of youth rambunctiousness and shenanigans which was quite entertaining and enthralling. Almost on cue, we were selected as the first group to tell a story to the class, so we picked David's. It was fun and somewhat challenging telling his story as if it were my own, which was the goal of the activity. At the end, perhaps a third of the class thought it was my story, and probably would have been more had I maintained better eye contact. It was quite rewarding to get up and narrate a new story, since I rarely get the opportunity to perform like that.

In Ewing & Simons (2004), the term of ‘educational drama’ is introduced as a fundamental concept that teachers and students can employ to model and manage different roles. Through different roles/personas, students have a means of constructing narratives, and thereby coming to a better understanding of the different ways people might operate. In this workshop, I was given the freedom and encouragement to take on the role of 15-year-old David Messer and narrate his story, just based on a few minutes worth of details. This is an invaluable tool that extends well beyond the drama and classroom itself.

References

Ewing, R. & Simons, J. 2004. Beyond the script: Drama in the classroom. Take 2. 2nd ed. Sydney: PETA.

No comments:

Post a Comment