Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Week 3 Visual Arts

Our workshop this week represented the 2nd (and messier) half of our overall project to first sketch then paint face portraits. We cut up our original sketch from last week into four quadrants in any fashion we liked. I opted for the angular slices as opposed to traditional congruent rectangles, just to add some pizzazz to the final painting. Lastly, I just had to indicate what colors I'd like my panels to be painted; I chose light & dark shares of blue. At that point, all my own work had concluded on the portrait, and it was up to my classmates to bring this to life. I obtained four random panels and set to work painting.

I thought this activity was a particularly neat and creative idea. The notion of passing ownership of my portrait to my peers was interesting and engaging to me. In this way, we as a class could feel more responsible for each others work and take partial ownership in our peers' work.

For me, this week's visual arts experience represented a culmination of the last couple weeks of work and mindset; something that resulted in a tangible product we could appreciate. It was a fun and worthwhile experience having the sketch I had drawn of my classmate Phil transformed by other classmates (forever unknown!) into quite another piece entirely.

My/my classmates' masterpiece

No comments:

Post a Comment