Saturday, August 10, 2013

Week 1 Visual Arts

*Class Absence Make-Up Activity

Detail an art experience that you can recall from school

Immediately when I saw this question posed, I knew what I would write about because I have such strong memories of my experience(s) to this day. Despite my uncomfortableness and general low self-perception of my art ability and creativity, I do remember this experience fondly. In my primary school’s dedicated art classes, we rotated through various units such as paintings, watercolors, sculpting with different materials, etc. My favorite unit was always those that used clay and pottery in construction because of the “building” nature of the project. It was something that let me use my tactile senses and hands in the creation of something, as opposed to the usual visual senses in paintings and sketches, which I was awful at. This is not a subjective and harsh evaluation of my own artwork (back then and now); it is definitely the objective truth! However, through that pain, there were good experiences and this reflective scrapblog entry will detail it.

The absolute highlight moment of these enjoyable art units I had working with clay/pottery would always be the penultimate stage of the process. At this point, I had finished physically molding & shaping the soft clay into the desired shape, be it a bowl, stick, plate, or mug. The art teacher then collected everyone's piece and sent them off to the school kiln for “firing.” I believe this was the term my art teacher used to refer to the heating/baking process that solidified the clay. I even had the pleasure to see this beautiful machine up close once, which was particularly memorable after I had produced several art pieces through this method. During the firing process, I always imagined my bowl or mug was being professionally treated and finished into a permanent state, and in turn, something pretty I could actually hold & use. In my mind, my un-professional clay constructions were somehow being transformed through a magical process in a giant machine. This metamorphosis process would cap the experience off for me without fail. The end product was something I actually admired and be proud of, as opposed to my terrible paintings or sketches!

I remember eagerly looking forward to art class whenever we were told the pieces were finished. I knew I would see the fruits of my labor. I felt special to accomplish constructing something from pure scratch, especially in a subject area (art) that I never considered myself strong in or particularly liked. It was shining moment in a long unpleasant tunnel, you could say. This bright spot definitely made art more bearable in primary school, and thus remains my strongest and most memorable art experience to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment