Saturday, August 10, 2013

Week 1 Drama

To be honest, I approached this drama workshop with easily the most apprehension (and anticipation) of all the classes I've had in MTeach so far. And I am most likely in the majority of people who feel this way! Drama is one of those subjects which daunts most people and I claim no exception. However, as discussed in the lecture during this first week, the dramatic arts is a powerful tool to use with primary students in their motivation & inspiration, which extends to other KLAs as well. After only a lecture and a workshop, I have begun to realize the importance of an arts-led curriculum and its powerful links to imagination and creativity (Gibson & Ewing, 2011). These two elements are simply indispensable during the mental development of children.

In order to harness the potential of arts through drama, I should become more comfortable with it myself first. Even though I've always been an outgoing, gregarious, and expressive individual, dramatic elements such as improvisation, adopting another persona, or presentation to a group do not come easily to me. I have to step out of my comfort zone, and that's what this first workshop accomplished for me. During the session, the concept of "dramatic context" was introduced. I along with my group members used our own creativity to incorporate details and variations into our still image. Our dramatic interpretation of the "Green Children" story was a fresh and completely distinct take from the other groups. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience to present it to the class.

My take-away from this workshop was that the process today was so enjoyable yet educational even for someone who entered the class with a mild sense of trepidation. And if this was so, how much more enjoyable would it be for someone not as daunted by our typical reservations of drama, aka, typical primary students!

No comments:

Post a Comment